Today is a day to stop and give thanks. Today, households around the nation are going to be having family over and spending time together.
A brief History
The traditions of football and parades started in the late 1800's and early 1900's. By the time of 1939, President Franklin Roosevelt felt that the country needed a specific day in which to set aside. He set aside the 4th Thursday in November as Thanksgiving day. His main reason was to give retailers more time before Christmas to sell their goods. This is especially important considering that the Great Depression was going on at this time and money was tight around the nation. On December 26, 1941, President Roosevelt signed the bill into law that officially set the date for Thanksgiving as the 4th Thursday in November.
Things that I am thankful for
There are so many things I'm thankful for this year. I am thankful for...
- Family that love me
- A job that pays my bills
- Spending time every week with one of my best friends to watch a movie
- My Mary Kay business and the things I've learned from it.
- My sweet Kiki kitty who loves to cuddle with me
- The freedom to worship God without being put to death
- The chance to read books and watch TV
- Having friends that hold me accountable for all that I'm doing and learning.
- The ability to laugh at my mistakes and to just enjoy life
I could go on and on with this list. Take some time today to remember this almost forgotten holiday. The stores will be there tomorrow. But today's a day to give thanks for what you have and to remember the One who gave it all to you. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
*history info came from Wikipedia, images from a google image thanksgiving search