Sunday, May 27, 2012

Short Straw Bride - A Review





When Meredith Hayes ventures onto the forbidden Archer land to warn the Archer brothers of a threat, she had no idea that her life was about to change forever. Her message safely delivered, she becomes injured and her reputation in tatters. The four Archer brothers, Travis, Crockett, Jim, and Neill, have lived alone on the ranch since their father died. They don't leave the land. To save Meredith's reputation, one of them must agree to marry her. But which one? Straws are drawn and Travis ends up being the one to hold the short straw. When danger threatens the safety of all on the ranch, the brothers respond, yet will Meredith and Travis find a happy ending of their own?

Having discovered Karen Witemeyer's books last summer, I quickly read threough them. Needless to say I was thrilled when I learned that she had a new book coming out this summer. I'm a little impatient and didn't want to wait to be offered to review this book for the publisher, so I saw it at Lifeway yesterday and picked it up.

I loved the book. I loved how Travis's biggest fear is trusting in God to care for and protect his family. Something he should have been doing for years instead of shouldering the burden on his own. Crockett is a very loveable brother and I didn't want to have the story end as I wanted to know more about Travis's brothers.

I recommend this book to fans of humorous romance,  Mary Connealy fans, and anyone who likes a bit of spunk in their characters.

Rating - 5 stars




 The following is not part of my review on Amazon or Goodreads.

I read a blog post by the author the other day that told me a little bit of the background into this book. She based the book, in part, on the musical Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. If I hadn't already known I was going to read the book, that clinched it for me. That musical is one of my all time favorites and ranks up there with Oklahoma!, Sound of Music, and Newsies. Here is a link to the full blog post. The contest giveaway she had on it is over now, but the post is still worth reading.

Thanks Karen for a wonderful book and I look forward to reading more of yours.


2 comments:

  1. Good review Dawn, I love to read books like this one where there are several brothers or sisters, I come from a large family of nine.
    I love to read books by Mary Connealay too so will be looking for this one.
    Thanks for sharing
    Paula O(kyflo130@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat, I love Seven Brides For Seven Brothers and I love this book! I had been waiting for this one and was so excited to finally read it!

    ReplyDelete