Saturday, September 19, 2015

Saturday Scribbles Vol 28

Happy Saturday everyone! Can you believe that we're almost at the end of September? Me neither.

So I discovered something on Wednesday evening/Thursday. I'm very technology dependent. You see, my phone completely died on Wednesday evening. I was in the middle of playing a game, while it was charging of course, and my screen went totally black. The soft keys at the bottom were still lit, so I tried pressing them. Nothing. I tried the power button. Nothing. I checked to make sure that my charger was plugged in, It was. So absolutely nothing worked on the phone. Thankfully I still a regular alarm clock (not a furry one either), so I wasn't dependent on the phone to wake me up the next day. So on Thursday, I plugged it in while driving to work. Still nothing. I kept it plugged in while at work. Still nothing. You see, I don't wear a watch, and the phone is my "watch." I was really glad that the classroom I was working in on Thursday had clocks. I mean I was teaching an Excel class, so even if there wasn't a clock on the wall in the room, there were the clocks on the computers.

I'd sent an email to those people who typically will either call or text me at some point during the day. And I'd updated my Facebook status saying not to call me. I could check my email. I mean there was a computer around after all. And I will typically check my email during lunch anyway.

So my day went on. I found myself at a bit of a quandary. I'd not realized how dependent I had become on this piece of technology. On my way home, I tried one last time to plug in the phone. This time it said "charging." Then I saw that it said "no sim card." So I get home. I open the side of the phone where the memory card was at. I'd already attempted that on Wednesday night, so I wasn't too hopeful anything would work. I took out the card and gently cleaned it (there are tools that can clean computer parts like a can of air). I loaded it back in, and then set it in the charger. I noticed that it appeared to be working. I left it in my charger and headed to my friend's house. After all it was Thursday. And we were planning on watching the new live action version of Cinderella that came out on dvd this week. ~Side note - Excellent movie. Probably my 2nd favorite live version of a Cinderella story, after Ever After. Rent it and watch it.~  Anyway, I got home last night and saw the phone was fully charged and was working.

It kept working just fine all day yesterday too. So I'm hopeful that I extended the life a little longer. It's only 3 years old, but it is a smart phone. Which means it's old by technology standards. I'm eligible for an upgrade, but I like the one I've got. I don't want to upgrade and have to figure out all the idiosyncrasies of a new phone.

So I either need to figure out a way to not be as technology dependent. Or I need to invest in a watch. Hmmm. I'll have to think about that a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! Feel free to share your thoughts with me and my readers. I will try to reply as I'm able.